Be the business Advisory Board Programme
This is a 12 month course, during which you can access invaluable non-executive director style support from a group of experienced business people made up of family business leaders and senior managers from larger businesses with specialisms such as finance, marketing, operations or HRGet in touch
Tap into your own advisory board
The future is bright for family businesses in the UK. And with an advisory board programme from Be the Business, it’s looking even brighter.
Family businesses are the backbone of our UK SME economy and achieving incredible things. But they also face various challenges. From our work with family businesses we know this includes improving performance, embracing technology and innovation, gaining fresh perspectives and developing the leadership skills needed in a growing business.
Our highly acclaimed Advisory Board programme was set up to support and empower family businesses to become even more successful.
What’s the catch?
There’s no catch. Be the Business is a non-profit organisation, supported by the government and leading businesses, to provide FREE resources and programmes to help businesses of all sizes grow and flourish.
“ This is a great opportunity to tap into the experience of some much bigger, longer established businesses. Initially we’ve begun to focus on the marketplace and product development. I’ve also started thinking about areas like productivity and management of staff.”
Lisa Smith, Ginger Bakers, Kendal
Over the course of 12 months, you’ll enjoy invaluable non-executive director style support from a group of experienced business people made up of family business leaders and senior managers from larger businesses with specialisms such as finance, marketing, operations or HR.
You’re the boss
Your advisory board will be there to do just that, advise. You know your business best. But they will provide:
• Support and advice on the issues you’re facing
• An external perspective, and objective input
• A sounding board to talk through ideas and strategy
• Reassurance you’re heading in the right direction
Who is the programme for?
Leaders of businesses in the North West with between 10 and 250 employees who are majority owned by family members.
Who will be on your board?
We work closely with members of the North West Business Leadership Team, with representatives of successful businesses including Peel Group, Virgin Money, Electricity North West, EY and Manchester Airport Group joining our boards.
Each of our boards is made up of five members from different organisations, supported by someone capturing notes and actions on the day. All the board members have volunteered their time, and have different skillsets, experience, insights and reasons for joining the board. We try to ensure each board includes one person who has experienced leadership in a family business and knows the unique challenges this can bring.
Ready to invite us into the family?
Here are the next steps…
• Complete an expression of interest form telling us about your business and what you would love to gain from the input and support of an advisory board.
• If we are able to offer you a place on the programme, our co-ordinators (the Family Business Network) will visit you and talk through the board papers and offer any help you need to prepare for your first meeting.
• Each board works with two different businesses on a single day – so you’ll either have a morning or an afternoon slot, and there’ll be a chance to talk more with the board members and the other business
• Dates for all four quarterly meetings will be arranged up front, and they’ll be held at the offices of board members located in the North West.
• Before each meeting, you’ll produce a summary board report that gives the board members the information they need about your business’s performance.
• At the meeting, you’ll talk the board through your issues, and they’ll give input and ask questions to help clarify your options.
• You can then identify actions that you want to take in order to move your business forward.
“ Advisory boards are a superb opportunity to get joined-up thinking across the whole of our business over a 12-month period. Through this strategic level of support, we’ll be able to hone what we do and accelerate our growth even more.”
Helen Tonks, Hydraulics Online, Alsager
“ Without exaggeration, this was one of the best days of my life at work. I’m really looking forward to seeing what will happen next with the two businesses and I can’t wait for the next Advisory Board session.”
Regina Lombard, Board Member
Ready to grow?
If you think your business would benefit from support or funding, get in touch and we’ll help you work things out.