Bringing you the latest news, views and
insights from the Local Growth Hub

legal and regulatory Information

The law on workplace pensions has changed. Under the Pensions Act 2008, every employer in the UK must put certain staff into a pension scheme and contribute towards it. This is called 'automatic enrolment'.

Whether you're a hairdresser, an architect or employ a personal care assistant, if you employ at least one person you are an employer and you have certain legal duties.

Find out more

Use the self-employed ready reckoner to budget for your Self Assessment tax bill for the 2015 to 2016 tax year.

Enter your estimated weekly or monthly profit to get an idea of how much Income Tax, Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance you’ll pay.

Find out more

The Business Growth Programme is a Liverpool City Region business support project that aims to build both the capacity and confidence within SMEs who are reluctant to engage with existing business support providers for either lack of knowledge, understanding or simply because they are reluctant to pay for existing commercial provision.

The Project will provide participating SMEs with direct advice, guidance and information that will provide a clear route to growth and sustainability. Dedicated face to face interaction coupled with a range of complementary support, will help businesses to begin the journey to growth. Advice will not be prescriptive and will cover core business functions such as finance, business planning, creating sales & marketing, operational review, HR, etc; this will be drawn out within the diagnostic process.

Participating Liverpool City Region (LCR) Local Authorities (LAs) and Chambers of Commerce (CCs)   will work together to deliver a consistent and quantifiable business support programme for eligible LCR SMEs. The project will be delivered through the LCR Local Growth Hub which is co-ordinated by the Local Enterprise Partnership to help bring a more cohesive approach to business support across the city-region.

Contact your Local Growth Hub broker for further infomation

Some properties are eligible for discounts from the local council on their business rates. This is called ‘business rates relief’.

Find out more

Better Business for All (BBfA) brings together businesses and regulators to consider and change how local regulation is delivered and received. It involves the creation of local partnerships to identify the issues facing local businesses and shape the provision of effective support services to them.

When you run a business, there are regulations to comply with.  The government aims to ensure that the regulatory environment for business in the UK is fair and effective.  There are ways in which it is being made simplier for business to work with government, and where regualtions can be reviewed and their enforcement improved.  Some of the key initiatives are listed on the following link:

Find out more

Includes Corporation Tax, Capital Gains Tax, Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) and VAT

Find out more

The Carbon Trust's mission is to accelerate the move to a sustainable, low carbon economy. We are independent experts on carbon reduction and resource efficiency, who reinvest surpluses from group commercial activities into our mission.

Client Services

We are an independent, expert partner of leading organisations around the world, helping them contribute to and benefit from a more sustainable future.


Whether you're a business, government or public sector body, we can support you to develop low carbon strategies and policies to reduce your carbon emissions and become more resource efficient. Our advice will help you cut costs and gain a competitive edge in a challenging economic climate.


We measure and certify the environmental footprint of your organisation, its supply chain and products or services, so you can identify efficiencies and maximise your low carbon credentials.


We help to develop and deploy low carbon technologies by prioritising, designing, and delivering large scale renewable energy programmes for our governmental and corporate clients and by catalysing clean tech venture growth through our incubation support. We help all sizes of organisation to put energy efficient equipment, renewable energy sources and other low carbon solutions into practice, with complementary financing solutions.

Our Investments

We have created and invested in a range of innovative low carbon companies. We are also working with Corporate and Government clients to identify, evaluate and incubate early stage companies.

Click here for further information

You must choose a structure for your business. This structure will define your legal responsibilities, like:

  • the paperwork you must fill in to get started
  • the taxes you’ll have to manage and pay
  • how you can personally take the profit your business makes
  • your personal responsibilities if your business makes a loss

You can change your business structure after you’ve started up if you find a new structure suits you better.

Find out more

Help and support from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) on self-employment.

Live webinars last for an hour. You can ask questions during the presentation and get answers from the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) host.


Find out more

This collection brings together leaflets, factsheets and booklets issued by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Find out more

The official government body responsible for intellectual property (IP) rights including patents, designs, trade marks and copyright.

What intellectual property is

Having the right type of intellectual property protection helps you to stop people stealing or copying:

  • the names of your products or brands
  • your inventions
  • the design or look of your products
  • things you write, make or produce

Copyright, patents, designs and trade marks are all types of intellectual property protection. You get some types of protection automatically, others you have to apply for.

Find out more

You may need a licence for:

  • some business activities
  • other activities, eg street parties
Find out more

You need to register for Self Assessment if you have to send a tax return and didn’t send one last year.

How you do this depends on whether:

  • you’re self-employed
  • you need to send a return for any other reason

You can appoint someone to register and send your tax return for you, eg an accountant, friend or relative.

Find out more

All the information you need to help you start up a new business, including how to set up and register a company.

Find out more